What You Need to Know Before Buying a Home
Whether it’s your first home, you’re PCSing or you’re a seasoned homebuyer, moving is part of the adult experience. The Census Bureau estimates that the average American will move between 11 and 12 times in their lifetime.
There’s a lot to learn before you make your first move as a grownup, especially if it involves buying a home. Similarly, if you haven’t moved in awhile – or if you’re moving to a new area – laws, guidelines and other significant homebuying information may be different.
Regardless of your circumstance, you likely can benefit from learning more about the homebuying process. After all, who doesn’t want to be smarter about one of the largest purchases of your life and how to alleviate some of the stress that can come with it?
USAA has created the Home Learning Center to make the moving process easier for members. Often, you don’t know what you don’t know, so we’ve got articles and videos to assist you along the way.
First, see if you’re ready before taking the plunge:
- What is your credit rating – do you need to improve your rating?
- How frequently do you plan to move?
- How Much Home Can You Afford?
- Monthly Home Ownership Costs to Consider Beyond Your Mortgage Payment
- 10 Essential Steps to Buying a Home
Finding Your Home
It’s relatively easy to find a Realtor, but securing one who understands the needs of the military and is top notch for your area and needs could be another thing. Finding the best agent can make a huge difference in what you pay for your new home, and what you get for the sale of your existing home.
Here are some great learning points to consider:
- The Importance of Finding the Best Real Estate Agent
- What You Should Know Before Hiring a Real Estate Agent
- 14 Questions for Your Real Estate Agent
Financing Your Home
Understanding your mortgage options and the entire process is key to getting the best deal. Also, it’s important to know that getting the lowest rate isn’t always the best deal. Should you get a VA loan or conventional mortgage? What is a VA loan and do you qualify?
- VA Loans vs. Conventional Loans
- Everything You Need to Know About VA Loans
- Is a 20% Down Payment Really Necessary?
- Understanding Mortgage Choices
- All VA Loan Articles
Closing on Your Home
You’ve checked off all the boxes, found that dream home and your financing is in order – so what should you expect in the closing process and beyond? What happens right before and after you get your keys?
- Tips for a Smooth Closing
- I Closed on My Mortgage: Now What?
- Insuring Your Home
- When Should I Refinance My Mortgage?
This material is for informational purposes. Consider your own financial circumstances carefully before making a decision and consult with your tax, legal or estate planning professional.
252751 – 0518